Are you looking to find the best zero-turn mower?
Our recommended picks would relieve you of this stress and make your lawns beautiful!
Consistent maintenance of a moderately sized or large-size residential lawn – which include a nice trimming and mowing of the grass – can sometimes be a daunting task. However, that was in the past. Currently, a machine has been created to turn the previously challenging mowing task into an effortless and quick affair – called the Zero Turn Mower.
Before now, the zero turn mower used to be the central tool for the large-scale landscape contractors only; however, the same machine has now been made into an affordable household device for gardening. Don’t be surprised to see your kids fighting over who to mow the lawn once you buy one – it is that fun and easy to use!
What are features of zero turn lawn mowers?
Unlike the customary ride-on mower, the zero turn mower has several design advantages such as:
- Zero Degree Radius: Basically, the “Zero turn” in the name means that the mower is made to have a zero degree turning. It is made to pivot in a circle which creates a 180-degree spinning possible. In this way, you will be able to cut every grass and enables you to have a good view of the mowed tracks.
- Rear Wheel Design: In contrast to the traditional ride-on mower, the majority of the zero turn mowers are made with two levers – or lap bars – while other models are built with steering wheels. Each of the two levelers is attached to the rear wheels on the right side and left side with an original transmission on each. The levers are designed to handle the forward and backward momentum, and also, with the bars, curving towards the right, or left is made possible.
- Front Mowing Cutting Deck: the mowing desk is established in the front part of the zero turn mowers compared to its underneath position in the traditional ride-on mowers. This concept enables the user to get up nearer and personal in narrows places such as around the vicinity of flower beds or under bushes.
All in all, the levers, front mowing desk, and the individual wheel motors offers an easy mowing control, better rate of cutting speed, and useful maneuverability to the user. In contrast to the traditional ride-on mower, the zero turns ride-on mower has better versatility and is a go-to-get option for both industrial and residential use.
1. Ariens Zoom 34 Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin Zero
This model has a 19 horsepower engine, and it is a superb choice for the residential lawn (that is the small or medium sized lawns) with zero slopping gradient and little obstructions. The mowing deck can be raised to mow over tree roots and discharges clippings with little clumping. This model offers a top cutting performance as it moves at the rate of 6mph in a forward direction and 3mph for a backward direction. The dual EZT hydrostatic transaxles are constructed with the model for top responsiveness and easy control. It is made with adjustable control arms while its mid-back seat provides extra comfort during long jobs.
- Highly sophisticate
- Excellent for small portions
- Can perform in tight spaces
- Works for tall grass
- Users have to take out the clogged grass underneath
- Enable to carry excess weight, or the model is incapable of turning on damp grass
2. Husqvarna MZ61 Zero Turn Mower
Husqvarna is a famous manufacturing brand of outdoor power products. The brand has qualities in paying attention to details and delivery of high-end products as exemplified in the 967323903 V-Twin Zero Turn Mower. This model is 61 inches in size and offers an exciting gardening performance while the Briggs and Stratton 27 horsepower Endurance Series V-Twin engine provides nothing short of great mowing and reliability. You will be able to smoothly glide across your lawn or acreage due to the premium air filtration, oversized cooling fan and anti-scalping wheels installed in this model. The twin cylinder engine offers fewer vibrations and better power. The cutting deck is made with reinforced flat-stock steel while the frame provides top durability. The outstanding design, electric clutch for engaging the blade effortlessly and dual hydro-gear EZT transmission made this model a highly sophisticated kind.
Also, other enhanced features within this model include ergonomic control pad, integrated headlights, and anti-slip foot area.
- Relatively cheap
- Excellent speed
- Powerful engine
- Better maneuverability
- Excellent wheel grip on slippery land
- Possible challenges with starting the engine
- Rear fenders may crack easily
3. Poulan Pro P46ZX Zero Turn Riding Mower
Poulan brand is a company well-known for a product’s reliability and effective customer satisfaction. The Poulan Pro 967331001 P54ZX is made with a sophisticated 24 horsepower Briggs and Stratton Engine, heavy-duty EZT Hydro-gear Transmission, and a size 54-inch reinforced cutting back; all these parts allow for effective mowing of large properties and moderately sloppy land. You can be sure of a good grip with its four anti-scalp wheels. Also, the triple blades and six position cutting height adjustments ensure that your lawn is trimmed perfectly and exquisitely. This model is made with a digitalized hour meter to assist in sustaining a regular maintenance schedule. Also, you will be sitting pretty comfortable with the medium back vinyl seat and foam padded hand grips.
- Easy assemblage and use
- Super-responsive engine
- Great cutting capability and smooth drive
- Easy to move around trees and rocks Relatively cheap
- The belt is likely to slip off while using high RPMs
- The seat will become uncomfortable after a lengthy mowing session
- Low speeds for vast landscape beyond 5 acres
4. Husqvarna Z254 Zero Turn Mower
The Husqvarna Z254 is specially designed to handle the extra-large sized property, moderate slopes, and rough terrain. Its high-end design, 3.5-gallon tank, wheel motors on each drive wheel, dual Hydro-Gear ZT-2200 Hydrostatic Transmission, four anti-scalp wheels, and oversized cooling fan ensures that the user possesses excellent maneuverability of the machine.
With this model, you can mow at a rate of 2.8 acres per hour at a speed of 6.5 mph due to the 24 horsepower Briggs and Stratton Endurance Series V-Twins 724 cc engine installed into the machine. All that aside, user’s comfortability was well considered while building this model as a 15-inch sliding seat with a spring suspension and ergonomic controls are some of its unique qualities. The spring-assisted hand controls ensure an accurate height adjustment while the choke, throttle, and ignition are well-placed in one location for easy use. There is an anti-slip material at the foot area while the bumpers are equipped with powerful LED lighting for a low-light drive.
- Affordable cost of purchase
- Easy ignition
- Moves fast
- Little assemblage procedure
- Capable of cutting thick grasses
- High cutting power
- Expensive components
- Can easily slip on slightly wet slopes
- Possible engine cut out on some occasions
5. Swisher ZTR2454BS Zero Lawn Riding Mower
For more than six decades, Swisher has been recognized as a reliable brand when it comes to outdoor power products. The Swisher ZTR2454BS Response is highly sophisticated with the new rapid response control system and a 24 horsepower Professional Series Briggs and Stratton engine to match. With this model, you will be able to mow at a speed of 8 mph while going forward and backward.
This model is designed with top maneuverability and quick responsiveness qualities. Consequently, it is an ideal machine for people with unbalanced lawns and a vast landscape that is challenging to mow.
Also, the Swisher Response can efficiently work in a rough terrain due to the 54-inch cutting deck, heavy-duty fenders, massive 8-gallon fuel capacity, and 3 Gator mulching blades made with the product. You don’t have to worry about user’s comfortability as the machine is formed with an electric start button, high-back seat, electric PTO clutch, and armrests. Other useful accessories made with this model include a storage compartment, a cup holder and a 12-volt adapter.
- Highly responsive and flexible drive
- Top-notch user’s comfort and excellent control
- Can work well in rough terrain and bushy spaces
- Relatively expensive
- Belt design has some challenges
Some advantages of Using a Zero Turn Ride-on Mower
- Zero turn mower models with a cutting deck over 42 inches are quite handy for working on sloppy and steep landscape.
- You can turn 180 degrees on the same spot without having to switch back and re-mow the grass. All you have to do is to manipulate the levels and turn, then proceed to mow the lawn.
- Because it runs a powerful engine between 19 to 24 horsepower, it works faster.
- The presence of hydrostatic transmission offers better maneuverability.
- It has high durability with sturdy stamped steel.
- The wide anti-scalping wheels offer a greater grip – even while operating on damp grasses.
- It can trim difficult spaces such as small bushes and narrow flower beds.
- Presence of useful accessories such as ergonomic control panels, adjustable controls, comfortable mid-back seat positioning, cup holders, integrated LED and anti-slip foot area. You can even get models with one-touch starting and keyless security.
How much is the Zero Turn Mower?
The cost of a zero turn mower – from some of its popular manufacturers like Husqvarna and Poulan – ranges between $2000 to $10,000 based on the engine size, model and the width of the cutting deck.
It is crucial first to determine whether you will be using the zero turn mower for a small to medium residential landscape or a large industrial lawn to find the most suitable zero turn mower for your gardening.
Also, a perfect zero turn mower for you will depend on the kind of lawn, garden or acreage that you will be working on; perhaps, it is flat ground, sloping lawn, rough terrain or bushy and unbalanced area.
7 Vital Maintenance Tips for the Zero Turn Mower
- Ensure that you peruse and adhere to the user’s manual completely before and during the use of the machine.
- Endeavor to grease your Zero turn mower regularly for excellent performance.
- Ensure that you sharpen the blades smoothly before you start any cutting session for optimum functionality.
- Since ride-on mowers are used for cutting through high densities of grass and other varieties of vegetation, you have to clean the machine regularly for top effectiveness and extended longevity.
- Be careful while working on a damp grass because some of the extra-large mowers can slide on slopes if the grass is slightly wet.
- Ensure that you put on noise protection earplugs to safeguard your eardrums.
- Endeavor to change the oil regularly as you would do for your car to ensure top performance.
Different Sizes of Zero Turn Mowers
You will get to find different sizes of Zero Turn mowers relative to the width of the cutting deck in the market. The size does vary from the 34-inch smaller size – which is an excellent choice for small lawns – to the 74-inch large machine for commercial properties or large estates.
The size of the cutting deck does offer a big difference to your mowing experience based on whether you will be mowing a residential lawn, acreage or an industrial landscape property. Some of the sizes include:
30’’: this is the basic, small-sized cutting deck which is an advisable option for narrow lanes and flat lawns. However, it is not suitable for any form of sloppy land with its heavy construction.
34’’ to 42’’: this model is quite handy for flat lawns and bigger properties that are close to 2 acres in size. It has great maneuverability around trees and different landscapes.
46’’: this sort of zero turn mowers is perfect for mowing medium-sized lawns, moderate slopes and hills up to 15 degrees.
50’’ to 54’’: it is a large model which is suitable for close to 3-acres of property. It will work fine on slight or moderate slopes and vast open areas as well as rough terrain. This model is made with a bigger frame that offers better stability while mowing up and down the slopes, particularly during a diagonal mowing of moderate slopes.
60’’ to 70’’: this model is the heavy-duty type which is made to mow large areas, steep terrain, 15-degree hills, and sloping gradients. The more massive cutting deck made with this model is mostly used for professional landscaping, and it cuts close to 5 acres per hour easily.